Beans. If these aren't a part of your daily routine then I'm thinkin' you need to get with it. Beans are easy to cook. Dry beans are CHEAP (About $1 a pound around here.) That translates to around 6 cups and a little over $0.16 a cup. I hear people complain ALL THE TIME that it is hard to eat healthy on a budget. That's just plain not true. Sure if you say "ew beans! I'll toot!" and go for some $7 packaged meal that will fill you up for about an hour. No no no, my child, that will not do. Grab yourself a bag of beans and a bottle of beer - it's time to learn how to make some kick ass drunken beans. You can eat em by the bowl full or fill a tortilla with them. Top a tostada or throw it into a taco shell. Mix it with rice and throw in your favorite veggies for one of those bowl thingies I hear us vegans are so excited about. (Excited, or is that the only thing people will feed us?)
(Look! The beans are at a pool party!!!)
1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
1 jalapeno, minced (remove seeds if you want!)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beer (16oz - buy a 22oz so you have some to drink while cooking! hehe!)
1 TBSP. chile powder
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can find it - it has a pungent flavor that rocks!)
1 TBSP. kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Soak the dried beans for 6-12 hours. Drain water.
- Put the beans in a large pot and over with 2-3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to med-low and simmer with the lid on for about 90 minutes. (Alternatively you can cook them in a crockpot on high for 3-5 hours [crockpots can be crazy different!] or low for 6-8 hours.)
- Drain off cooking liquid but reserve 2 cups.
- Add reserved cooking water and all remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Simmer over med-low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.