Confession: I'm not a breakfast person. Yes, I'm quite aware of what people say about it being the most important meal blah blah blah. If you feel like me you know what I'm about to say is true: there are times when food just doesn't sound good! I'm trying to fight it and eat before I get grouchy because it is a fine line I walk in the morning. I need something easy, filling, and easy. Yeah really easy, because it takes me about an hour to wake up but I must force myself in that hour to do things that I cannot do with a toddler awake. Like blog or.. clean. Anyway, enough about my messy house.
So here it is, the easiest creamy steel cut oats I've ever eaten. And as someone who hates oatmeal I can say that this is da-bomb. I think it tastes more like rice pudding than gooey mushy oatmeal. More like amazingly creamy tasty rice pudding. Yeah.... mmm...
Oh yeah and if you make this while you're doing things and get distracted you may want to hide it. I had a full on meltdown the other morning when SOMEONE ate all of the oatmeal. YES THE WHOLE POT. There were just some scraps left in the corners of the pan (argh! Who does that?!) So double the recipe if you have super hungry people in your home.
Steel Cut Oats
3 cups soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk: hemp, almond, oat, rice, etc)
1 cup steel cut oats
- Bring milk and oats to a boil. Make sure to stir to keep it from burning.
- Once it is boiling put the lid on and turn off the heat.
- Let sit on the stove for about 30 minutes. Go and do your other stuff (like make coffee or enjoy the peaceful quiet in your home.)
- Lift the lid and stir!! (It may look funky so stir before you question it.)
- If it is still too liquidy you can put the lid back on for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with fruit (blueberries are good!) seeds, nuts, andor ground flax seeds. I topped mine with some cinnamon too!