It is hardly chilly out yet I have thrown all of my summer stuff into bags and I'm sitting around in hoodies. I'm a bit warm but I don't care - I'm comfortable. All I need is bowls of steamy hot aromatic soup to fill me up and I'm a happy little mamma. The babe also downed this stuff so that's always a relief!
Soup doesn't need to be complicated to be amazing. This one is super easy (I LOVE easy!) but somehow it tastes more complex than it is. It is also crazy filling so you won't be hungry again in an hour. That, my friends, makes this an awesome soup.
What's your favorite winter soup?! I have a few more coming up so get your belly ready!
Full Harvest Soup
One acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
1 cup red lentils
1 onion, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth (try to use low sodium, bouillon works fine too!)
2 TBSP. nutritional yeast
1 TBSP. no salt seasoning (like Mrs. Dash - see note!)
- Preheat oven to 375º (190ºC)
- Place squash cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 min. - 1 hour (until it is soft when squeezed)
- While your squash is roasting get a large pot and toss in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, put the lid on the pot and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Scoop the squash out of its skin and toss into the soup. Puree with an immersion blender (or regular blender in batches when it has slightly cooled.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Note- If you don't have any No-Salt seasonings try adding some garlic, black pepper, rubbed sage, fresh thyme, red pepper flakes or even curry powder. Add them to taste (in case you don't do this often: add a small amount, stir, taste the soup and then consider adding more.)