Okay remember how I don't like breakfast? Well I don't mind breakfast foods - I just don't want to eat them in the morning. I love breakfast for dinner though, don't you?! This kind of tastes like summer to me. Especially with all of the blueberry picking we did. So lucky us we still have a little bit of blueberries left in the freezer. The syrup would be good all over anything. I'm a sucker for fruit syrups though. It's simple and just lets the blueberries do their magic. My kid was saying "Pancake! Mouth! Yummy!" - I was smitten. The Mr. wasn't that excited but I'm going to pretend that didn't happen. More for us!
Lemon Corncakes with Blueberry Syrup
1 cup soy milk (or your favorite milk alternative) with 1 TBSP. lemon juice mixed in
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
1 tsp sugar (or agave nectar)
zest of one lemon (approx 2 tsp. Use microplane if you have one!)
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and lemon zest.
- Stir in soy milk and lemon juice mixture. Add corn and sugar. Mix until just combined.
- In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat pour 1/4 cup sized corncakes. Cook 3-4 minutes each side or until light brown.
- Top with blueberry syrup and Enjoy!
(Feel free to double this recipe! The syrup is good on toast, ice cream, over muffins or cake, etc)
3 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Mash the berries with a spoon if you like.
- Pour over pancakes!