Well, here it is. The last soup recipe for a while. I still LOVE soup.. but as I was saying before, my toddler just doesn't "get it" (She won't devour it.) She wants to be able to point out her food and identify it. Okay, okay, kid - I get it! But I'm still making chili!
For this soup you can either start out with some peeled and cubed butternut squash or some already roasted squash (
) Either way you are going to end up with a creamy healthy soup with a bit of a kick from chipotle peppers. If you serve it in little bowls or cups you could have it as a starter to an enchilada feast or even
if that's your thing! And if you aren't into spicy you can just leave out the chipotles. (I'm flexible so go for it. Make it your own!)
Spicy Butternut and Kale Soup
1 large butternut squash (either peeled and cubed uncooked squash or already roasted and scooped out of the skin.)
4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium if you can!)
4-5 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced (you can take out the seeds if you like)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bunch of kale (wash and remove the tough stems then tear into pieces)
salt to taste
- For cubed and peeled uncooked squash: In a large pot bring the broth to a boil and add in the squash. Turn down to medium heat and put the lid on. Simmer until the squash is nice and soft.
- For roasted squash: scoop out of the skin and put into a large pot. Add the broth.
- Add the chipotle peppers, cumin, garlic and kale. Simmer over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Blend in batches in your regular blender or blend up the whole pot with your immersion blender. (I LOVE my immersion blender and use it all the time. It was so worth it!)
- Taste your soup and add salt as necessary.
- If you like a thinner soup you can add more broth to taste or even some non-dairy milk to make it creamier.