So I know that anything with potatoes, cabbage and beer does not = Irish (haha) but that's the best name I can come up with for this so humor me! I wanted to call it Poor Man's Soup but that doesn't sound as tasty for some reason. (It brings up too many questions like "why are we eating this man?!" Although it does explain the beer... Anyway!)
It's a quick one pot meal that you can serve up with some bread (quick bread or otherwise) and call it a night.
Oh and I KNOW, I know! I said no more soup. Guess what? Gotcha! It's a stew! Also, the kiddo loved it- see:
Since there are big chunks she was into it. She likes to see the foods and know what they are. I'm sure she likes the textures of whole foods. We didn't really do the whole pureed baby food thing so she's been a real food eater.
3 large baking potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes (we don't peel them, just wash them well.)
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, cleaned and chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
1 - 12oz
(dark ale is good!)
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
, chopped (*Optional. Also you can sub any type of vegan sausages you want here.)
salt and black pepper to taste
- Get a large pot and bring it up to high heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of water and steam fry the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute longer. Add more water if necessary.
- Add everything else to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn it down to low and put on the lid. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until your potatoes are nice and tender. (You can check them by pushing a fork into one.)
- Add salt to taste and Enjoy!