When I made the Chocolate Waffles I left a few people without waffle irons feeling pretty sad. I know, it wasn't totally fair so I'm making up for it with these chocolate pancakes with a super DELICIOUS Strawberry Creme Sauce! YUM!!! You could put this sauce on almost any dessert and it will be fabulous.
We love having pancakes, waffles or biscuits and gravy on the weekends - do you make a different breakfast on the weekend too? I really love waking everyone up with a special meal in the morning when I get the chance - I know, totally sappy. It's just so fun even though the kitchen is a total wreck by the time I'm done!
Totally worth the wreck to have chocolate for breakfast though, isn't it?! (And you don't have to talk about how they are whole grain, plant strong and of course vegan because everyone is going to have their mouths so stuffed they won't care!)
Chocolate Pancakes with Strawberry Creme Sauce
(makes about 12 small pancakes)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour - I use this one (you can also use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (This is my favorite and has a rich deep chocolate flavor. I usually see it at every grocery store in the baking isle.)
- 1 & 1/4 cup soy milk (or other non dairy milk substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons sugar or a 6 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Measure out the soy milk and add the lemon juice. Set aside. (It will curdle like buttermilk and adds really nice flavor to the pancakes.)
In a large bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Now add in the soy milk mixture and vanilla extract. Stir only until incorporated (you don't want to overmix batters.)
I made our pancakes using about 1/4 cup of batter. I could easily make four at a time this way. Make them whatever size you want but be sure to cook larger ones longer.
Pour batter into the pan and make sure not to overcrowd if you are making more than one at a time so that you can get your spatula in to flip them.
Cook until the edges dry out slightly and you see bubbles formed in the batter (2-3 minutes for small pancakes.)
Flip and cook for an additional minute or two. Undercooking is actually delicious with these chocolate pancakes so go for slightly undercooked rather than overcooked.
Strawberry Creme Sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt or pureed silken tofu such as Mori-nu Soft Silken Tofu (I used Homemade Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stevia or maple syrup to taste
Blend everything together (I used my immersion blender) and serve! It's best eaten on the day it is made but it should last in the fridge for another day or two if covered well.