July 09, 2014 July 09, 2014/ Morgan
Any salad without lettuce is my on the top of my salad lists because I can make it ahead of time without worrying it about it wilting on me. This tastes great (maybe even better) the next day so its also great for making ahead for packed lunches.
Anyone else pack lunches for work? I pack the Mr.’s lunch every day and I have to be honest, it must be a super boring lunch most of the time. I put some of this in it today so hopefully it is just a tad more interesting.
This is the perfect summer salad. It goes with everything (I even ate it with hot and sour soup but maybe that’s just because I’m a bit nutty!) It’s the perfect way to use up beautiful summer tomatoes.
- 3-5 medium small heirloom tomatoes (or whatever kind you can find), cut into small wedges
- 1/2 english cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/4 large sweet onion sliced thin (walla-walla or hawaiian sweet are great)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh minced dill
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced fine or grated with microplane grater
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- a big pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
Mix everything together and refrigerate for an hour or so for the flavors to meld together. Eat with everything!!!
Note: You can use finely minced basil instead of the dill if you like but then it won’t be Dilled Cucumber Tomato Salad… it would be Basiled Cucumber Tomato Salad (and that sounds a bit funny)
July 09, 2014/ Morgan/