Makes 12 large doughnuts
- 2.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sucanat or organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (NOT optional! use preground if you must but don’t leave it out)
- 1 & 1/3 cup soymilk (or whatever non-milk)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the soymilk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add the applesauce and vanilla to the soymilk mixture and stir well.
Add the wet soymilk and applesauce mixture to the sifted dry mixture and stir to combine. Do NOT overmix!!!!
Put the batter into either a piping bag or a plastic bag with the corner cut off to pipe it into your doughnut pan. Fill the pan to about 3/4 full in each doughnut.
Bake for 10-12 minutes (if you want to test it insert a toothpick and pull it out. If there are a few crumbles of cake on it or it is clean that’s fine. If it’s gooey let them bake a little longer.) Let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then pull them out. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes longer.
Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and stir in the maple syrup and the maple extract. You may want to add a teaspoon or so of soymilk to thin it out.
Once the doughnuts have cooled slightly you can dip them into the glaze. Make sure to get the excess off before flipping them right side up. You can always dip them 1 time or let them set up and dip a second time. Up to you!
Nutritional information per serving : Serving size: 1 glazed doughnut
4 WWPointsPlus 167 calories, 0.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 36.5g carbohydrates, 3.6g fiber, 10.9g sugar, 3.2g protein