May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013/ Morgan
I’m pretty sure that i’m not the only one here that loves cake. Everyone does. If you don’t – you’re weirder than I am. made these for a birthday party where I knew I’d have to bring out the vegan treats. I was worried that making carrot cake was a bit too “hippy” but I was assured that I was wrong. (Also, the cupcakes at the birthday party that weren’t vegan were ALSO carrot cupcakes.)
And.. I don’t think I was trying to be EXTRA hippy when I did the next thing – I added beets to them. I ran out of carrots! And beets are sweet like carrots right?
Okay, someone told me at the party that I could have used zucchini. Doh! You can use zucchini too – or extra carrots – if you are totally afraid of beets. But I loved them this way!!!
Let me just tell you a little secret though – you could put ANYTHING in the cupcakes and top them with cream cheese frosting and they will taste great. That stuff is the devil. It’s EVIL I tell ya! So so good.
So, let me come out with it right now: these aren’t healthy. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Sure, there is no oil in the cupcakes and they use whole wheat flour but they are full of sugar and Tofutti cream cheese is straight up bad for you as well.
But they are tasty. Very tasty. And easy to make. And if you share them and maybe eat just one or two…. right?! RIGHT?!
I swear I ate only 2 (while I was taking these pictures…) I am so glad we ate them all because they were addictive.
Look at this picture below. You know you want one. Go get your pan out and get started. I’m sure you’ve got something to celebrate!
Just Beet It Cupcakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup soy milk (or other milk alternative)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded beets (or zucchini or more carrots)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- oz Tofutti cream cheese (or your favorite brand), brought to room temperature
- 8 oz powdered sugar (as a maximum – you may want less!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (or more vanilla)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with your cupcake liners (I use a brand that is nonstick which I LOVE!)
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. tir in the applesauce, soy milk, sugar and shredded carrots and beets. Mix until just combined (don’t overmix!) Fill each cupcake liner to about 3/4 of the way full – I use a 1/4 cup to measure it out.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.. (You can do the toothpick check to see if they are done – insert a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If you pull it out and it’s all gooey then they need to bake longer. If it has a bit of crumbs on it then it is fine. If it is dry it’s fine too!) et the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting:
Whip the cream cheese with electric beaters until soft and fluffy (30 seconds – 1 minute.) Add in the powered sugar 1 cup at a time (add it, whip it, add it, and so on..) until it is to your desired taste and consistency Then add in the vanilla and maple extract. You may want to add just a touch more powered sugar after. over the frosting and refrigerate until the cupcakes are 100% cool.
I used a fancy piping bag for these cupcakes but no one is going to care because they taste so good. Just spread it on with a knife if you want!
– I’m not even going to figure out the calories on these because I don’t want to know! These are a once in a blue moon kind of treat – not an everyday or every week or every month affair. Eat at your own risk! 😀
Hooray! The first printed edition of the Vegan Taco Party s SOLD OUT!! And we’ve switched printers now so the new copies of the booklet are EVEN BETTER. I’m so excited and proud of of those!
You can order them HERE for only $13 (plus s&h)
This booklet has everything you need to have the best vegan taco party on the block! Try out some vegan Tequila Queso Dip and Baked Corn Chips, an ice cold glass of Homemade Horchata, maybe some Chipotle Tofu Tacos with a side of Roasted Corn with a Cheesy Chile Topping and finish it all off with some Watermelon Popsicles! That is just a small sample of the recipes you’ll find in this mouthwatering little book.
May 2013 Vol 1, Issue 1!
Here are some special things about this booklet:
- Over 40 recipes including drinks, appetizers, sides, tacos and desserts!
- All of the recipes are 100% vegan! (And healthy vegan too!)
- There are color photos of every recipe in the book!
- It is also a coloring book with cute little pictures to color in while you’re cooking (or I guess your kids can color them if you let them!)
- It is 100% lovingly made by me. The drawings, the recipes, the photographs – everything.
May 29, 2013/ Morgan/