February 17, 2014 February 17, 2014/ Morgan
I LOVE potato soup! It’s always been a huge comfort food for me so when it’s cold out (like when it has been snowing here recently) I’m drawn to making a huge pot of potato soup. Sometimes though, you want things to be a little more exciting and that’s where this came from! I had already had potato soup a couple of times this week so I figured that I should change it up before my family totally strangled me. I’m not sure that they love potato soup as much as I do. I can finish two bowls of it before the Mr. even finishes one.
This was such a wonderful soup that my cat even wanted some. Well she sniffed it anyway and then sat right in my light for taking pictures.
It’s alright, Pickle, i’ll just take pictures of you!
Yup, our cat is named Pickle. Our other cat is named Pepper. (And before that we had Beans and Franks!)
- 2.5 pounds potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, grated with a microplane zester or finely minced
- 1 cup corn (I used fire roasted corn from Trader Joe’s!)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped Tofu Bacon (recipe here!)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 jalapenos, minced (optional)
- salt to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt)
In a large pot bring broth, potatoes, celery, corn and garlic to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and put the lid on. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Add in the soy milk, nutritional yeast and salt to taste. Blend up about 1/4 of the soup using either an immersion blender (my favorite tool!) or take a portion out to blend in your blender.
Add the green onions and chopped tofu bacon at the end. Serve with lots of crackers and black pepper to taste.