October 21, 2012 October 21, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston
Beans. If these aren’t a part of your daily routine then I’m thinkin’ you need to get with it. Beans are easy to cook. Dry beans are CHEAP (About $1 a pound around here.) That translates to around 6 cups and a little over $0.16 a cup. I hear people complain ALL THE TIME that it is hard to eat healthy on a budget. That’s just plain not true. Sure if you say “ew beans! I’ll toot!” and go for some $7 packaged meal that will fill you up for about an hour. No no no, my child, that will not do. Grab yourself a bag of beans and a bottle of beer – it’s time to learn how to make some kick ass drunken beans. You can eat em by the bowl full or fill a tortilla with them. Top a tostada or throw it into a taco shell. Mix it with rice and throw in your favorite veggies for one of those bowl thingies I hear us vegans are so excited about. (Excited, or is that the only thing people will feed us?)
Click here to download the Borracho Beans Recipe and Coloring Page!
(Look! The beans are at a pool party!!!)
1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
1 jalapeno, minced (remove seeds if you want!)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beer (16oz – buy a 22oz so you have some to drink while cooking! hehe!)
1 TBSP. chile powder
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can find it – it has a pungent flavor that rocks!)
1 TBSP. kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Soak the dried beans for 6-12 hours. Drain water.
- Put the beans in a large pot and over with 2-3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to med-low and simmer with the lid on for about 90 minutes. (Alternatively you can cook them in a crockpot on high for 3-5 hours [crockpots can be crazy different!] or low for 6-8 hours.)
- Drain off cooking liquid but reserve 2 cups.
- Add reserved cooking water and all remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Simmer over med-low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
October 21, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston/