October 29, 2012 October 29, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston
For people that weren’t born into the vegan lifestyle there comes a list of things they miss. At the very least people miss flavor combinations. I missed broccoli cheese soup. (And beer cheese soup.)
Now I know, I’ve gone overboard on soup this month. Soup soup soup. My family is sick of soup. At least my 2 year old. She isn’t picky when it comes to eating ANY NEW FOOD – its just that she doesn’t get the appeal of soup. She plays with it and eats a little. Then she yells “OUTTT!!!” (of the highchair) I’d be better off serving her a stir fry with tempeh. She loves that stuff (veggies and tempeh!) SO – after this i’ve got one more soup and I’m taking a soup break. I swear I always said I would be the parent that was all like “If you’re not going to eat it then you can go hungry!!!!” – I am! But I still need to listen to her. Like if she’ll eat all of the individual components of soup as long as its not soupy then I’m a jerk to puree her food. Or cook it forever. Or goddess forgive mix the foods together! I have to point out each individual food in a mixed dish for her and then she will eat it.
Drunken Broccoli Cheese Soup
(Vegan Beer Broccoli Cheese Soup!)
2 large starchy potatoes (russet), peeled and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. roasted red pepper, chopped
4 c. broccoli, chopped (fresh or frozen is fine)
1 & 1/2 c. nutritional yeast
2 TBSP. miso paste
2 c. vegetable broth
2 c. beer (I’d advise against any IPA or super bitter beers – they don’t taste as good in foods. Drink those while eating the soup instead!)
1 c. soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. smoked hot paprika
- In a large pot bring the vegetable broth, potatoes, onion and garlic to a boil over high heat. Turn to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Add in everything else except the non-dairy milk. Bring back up to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is soft enough to be blended but not super gross and turning grey. Mine took between 8-10 minutes.
- Blend with your immersion blender (or in batches in your regular blender.) Add the milk to thin to your desired consistency. (Maybe more, maybe less.)
- Check the seasonings and serve with some hearty rolls or crackers!
- (If you want the soup to have a more pronounced beer flavor you can replace the non-dairy milk with beer at the last step. It will have a more alcoholic taste if you add it without cooking – Bonus?!)
- ***To make this a Sober Broccoli Cheese Soup just use more veggie broth instead of the beer.
October 29, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston/