Plant Strong Mayo:
- 12oz (about 1 cup) silken tofu (such as Mori-nu Soft Silken Tofu)
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Blend together until very smooth. Keep in an airtight container (preferably glass) in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plant strong mayo (see recipe above)
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. If you are using a cast iron pan to cook these then add that to the cold oven and let it preheat as well.
Mix together the soy milk and lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes until thickened.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix in the mayo and soy milk mixture. Mix until JUST COMBINED. A few little lumps is okay.
For drop biscuits just spoon it out onto either your cast iron pan or a parchment lined baking sheet.
For cut biscuits lightly dust flour on your work surface. Dump the just combined dough onto the surface and pat into a 1/2-3/4″ tall round. Cut out your pieces and then combine the scraps, pat together again and repeat. These will be very delicate and may slightly pull apart while moving them if you are not careful. Just be gentle and pat them back together once they are transfered to the pan.
Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes or until they just begin to lightly brown.
These are best eaten right away – served with some jam, or some gravy!! (Gravy is ALWAYS good!)