October 10, 2012 October 10, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston
Okay remember how I don’t like breakfast? Well I don’t mind breakfast foods – I just don’t want to eat them in the morning. I love breakfast for dinner though, don’t you?! This kind of tastes like summer to me. Especially with all of the blueberry picking we did. So lucky us we still have a little bit of blueberries left in the freezer. The syrup would be good all over anything. I’m a sucker for fruit syrups though. It’s simple and just lets the blueberries do their magic. My kid was saying “Pancake! Mouth! Yummy!” – I was smitten. The Mr. wasn’t that excited but I’m going to pretend that didn’t happen. More for us!
Click here to download the Lemon Corncakes Recipe and Coloring Page!
Lemon Corncakes with Blueberry Syrup
1 cup soy milk (or your favorite milk alternative) with 1 TBSP. lemon juice mixed in
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
1 tsp sugar (or agave nectar)
zest of one lemon (approx 2 tsp. Use microplane if you have one!)
- In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and lemon zest.
- Stir in soy milk and lemon juice mixture. Add corn and sugar. Mix until just combined.
- In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat pour 1/4 cup sized corncakes. Cook 3-4 minutes each side or until light brown.
- Top with blueberry syrup and Enjoy!
(Feel free to double this recipe! The syrup is good on toast, ice cream, over muffins or cake, etc)
3 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Mash the berries with a spoon if you like.
- Pour over pancakes!
October 10, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston/