December 27, 2012 December 27, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston
I have a confession: Some days I forget about pasta. I mean, it’s back in the far reaches of my mind but I forget to cook it. I forget it is even an option for dinner. It’s just that sometimes I can’t control myself with pasta. I eat a TON of it and make myself sick. Then I don’t want to look at it for weeks.. months even! It’s what some people call a “trigger food” for me. But in proper portions? I love it! I had to be reminded to cook some recently. Some men just love spaghetti. And some women? They love to cook for men they love. As a bonus most kids LOVE noodles. At least my stinker and every other stinker I’ve met does (and I’m so sorry if yours doesn’t. They’ll come around!)
So instead of regular ole spaghetti I threw in some flavorful components and WHAMMO! A pasta dish I love and feel satisfied with after one normal portion (plus a big BIG salad!)
Anyway this is a super quick and easy dinner. If you don’t like mushrooms you can always use something else like zucchini. As for the olives? They are the essence of this dish. That and fresh herbs. Lots of fresh herbs! Alright, ready for dinner in about the same time it takes to boil pasta?
Mushroom and Olive Spaghetti
8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
28 oz tomato sauce (like
Muir Glen Chunky Tomato Sauce
– it is awesome!)
8 oz crimini mushrooms, washed and sliced
1/2 cup green olives, chopped
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
fresh black pepper
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. I usually add a few big pinches of kosher salt to my pasta water but you can leave this step out.. if you dare! (hehe)
- Add in your spaghetti and cook until al dente (according to the package directions.)
- Sautee your mushrooms in a nonstick pan over medium high heat until they are golden brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the balsamic vingar while the heat is still up and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Now add in the tomato sauce, olives, basil and parsley.
- Turn the heat to medium heat and heat until the sauce is warmed through.
- Add in your spaghetti, toss and serve! I like to serve with lots of freshly ground black pepper and a simple salad.
Nutritional information per serving
: Serving size: 1/4 of the pasta
4 WWPointsPlus, 185 calories
, 5.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 27.3g carbohydrates, 4.9g fiber, 6.5g sugar, 3.2g protein
December 27, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston/