serves about 10 – 1 cup servings
- 2 quarts vegetable broth (8 cups)
- 1 cup pearled barley (barley groats will take far longer to cook)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 6 cups chopped swiss chard (1 large bunch)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Bring everything but the chard to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once it is boiling turn the heat to low and put on the lid. Simmer for 35-40 minutes.
Add in the swiss chard and let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Your broth may be very salty or not at all so I am sure you will find the right balance yourself.)
Serve with warm crusty bread and maybe a fresh raw salad.