February 07, 2012 February 07, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston
Okay, so I LOVE tortilla soup. Its so comforting with the perfect mix of flavors and textures… its amazing. How could it be better? What if you just threw everything into the slow cooker in the morning and dinner was ready for you when you got home from work? I wanted something yummy and healthy. So here it is – easy, tasty and healthy. Booyah!!!
Crockpot Tortilla Soup
This recipe makes a lot but you can freeze the leftovers in individual servings for later!
1 package soy curls (or about 2 cups of beans, tempeh, or your favorite protein here)
1 large can of chopped tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 can black beans, drained (or about 1.5 cups cooked black beans)
1.5 cups frozen corn
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
4 cups water (or veggie broth)
Optional: 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped fine)
Optional: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (if you hate cilantro just leave it out, don’t add parsley)
chopped green onion
tortilla chips (or homemade baked/fried strips of corn tortillas)
sliced black olives
- Throw everything into the slow cooker and stir it up.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. It’s not a big deal if its more like 8-9, you just may want to add a tiny bit of water at the end.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice, chopped green onion, cilantro, cut up avocado, crushed tortilla chips, extra salsa and, sliced black olives.
- You don’t need to brown anything before throwing it in the crockpot. Just toss it all in. See, didn’t I tell you it was EASY?!
- Also, I have a pretty large slow cooker. You can cut the recipe in half if you want to but the leftovers keep well. You can freeze them in individual servings for later!
February 07, 2012/ Morgan Eccleston/